Job Specification: SQL Developer
Working at TransLution
TransLution™ serves the specialised needs of manufacturing, warehousing, and distribution companies. Our main objective is to provide practical technology products that deliver competitive advantage to our customers, while providing improvements in their operating efficiency and stock control to deliver significant cost savings. In a nutshell we are developers of software to collect, manage and automate data which allows us to drive efficiencies within our clients’ operations.
The TransLution™ team includes software developers, business consultants, system implementation consultants and customer support specialists working together to ensure great results.
We are a dynamic, innovative, global business with offices in North America, Europe, Australia, and South Africa. We offer fast paced and challenging work in a growing company environment that promotes growth and learning amongst our staff.
Purpose of the Role
The key purpose of the role of the SQL Developer is to develop and configure TransLution™ functions to meet the clients’ requirements as defined in the Business Requirements Specification (BRS).
The incumbent will be a SQL developer who is able to design and develop T-SQL queries and stored procedures, design and deploy SQL databases using agreed best practices. Create custom reports using SSRS by extracting data from multiple sources including the ERP and TransLution™ databases to enhance the client’s operational productivity.
Critical to the success of this person will be proficiency in SQL; business understanding of ERP conventions as they pertain to manufacturing and warehouse operations.
The SQL Developer is responsible for the generation of the technical design, development, documentation and testing of solutions where agreed business rules are embedded in the functionality of the software.
The successful candidate will have experience implementing SQL based ERP or MES systems in the industrial or logistics sectors or have a SQL development background in these sectors. The successful candidate will be upskilled in TransLution™ as part of a company designed development plan. The role will work closely with both the Design team, Client, General Manager, and other relevant team members and be required to configure TransLution™ to meet the clients’ requirements.
Key responsibilities include creating TransLution™ functions and reports, the development of SQL databases, queries, views and stored procedures – ensuring their stability, reliability and performance.
Overview of the Role
- Execution and delivery of TransLution™ solutions by configuring the product using business process knowledge, TransLution™ product knowledge, SQL scripts and problem-solving skills.
- ERP integration with Syspro, Sage, Exact, SAP Business One and various other ERP’s
- TransLution™ Configuration testing and comparison to what solution was proposed.
- Fully testing the solution prior to client UAT to ensure that the required standards are met and that the client’s expectations are fulfilled.
- SSRS Reporting
- Provide day-to-day technical support and assistance for multiple clients
- Bartender integration – Designing and printing of 1D and 2D barcodes
- Training and mentoring junior team members
Requirements of the role
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, design, business, IT, or other related field
- Project management certification would be advantageous
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in user-centred design and development, preferably in more than one role and organisation
- Advanced SQL knowledge with a proven track record of delivering solutions to complex industrial problems
- A person with experience in warehousing, manufacturing or logistics sectors is preferred
- Experience in varied software development methodologies, including Waterfall, AGILE, SCRUM would be beneficial
- Design and Development of databases
- Optimisation of queries, indexes, and other performance tuning methods
- Ability to multitask across multiple project initiatives and work in a collaborative team environment
- Positive energy and get-it-done attitude
- Ability to communicate clearly and motivate others
- Ability to compile clear, concise, and readable specifications and other documents is required
- The successful candidate will be based in Johannesburg, Gauteng at our office in Rivonia
- We have adopted a hybrid work arrangement
- The SQL Developer position is a permanent role
- Commencement: ASAP
- The role entails some travel
- A valid Driver’s License and own vehicle is required
- As an equal opportunity employer, we recognise, appreciate and value diversity and inclusion. As an employer we do not discriminate against employees based on race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability
Interested applicants should forward their CV to [email protected]